Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Peace

Hey-oh!
So I’m back and freshly bruised from my white water canoeing trip and the joke is that with all those days on the water I don’t have a single picture of me in a canoe, just some pictures of animals and things I saw on the way. It was an awesome trip that really tested my endurance because the wind always seemed to be blowing against us and there wasn’t the option to just give up and float back to the start. I got a shot at my first class 4 rapid. I don’t know what that means but apparently that’s hard (as hard as just letting your canoe go with the flow can be) and after we got to the end of it Adam informed me that I’m an adrenaline junky. Which got me thinking about the whole extreme sport thing: I’ve been known to jump off a cliff or two and scale this or that rock face but I would never say I love adrenaline. I think that’s pretty obvious as shown by the fact that I hate scary movies and I get freaked out if people walk to closely behind me when I’m going up stairs. It makes my heart speed up and I don’t like the feeling of losing control, so if I really liked the adrenaline rush why wouldn’t I like these things too?
I’ve read that the attraction to dangerous situations is that for a few short moments things are moving so quickly that your brain can’t keep up, it just has to sit back in silence and enjoy the ride. In those moments with out the brains prattling judgments and comments at you you’re existing as close to your true nature as you can. A self created Zen moment. And that’s all we do when we meditate is try to shut the brain up long enough to experience ourselves.
And I know it doesn’t work that way for everyone. For some people their brains just shout louder when they are freaked out or maybe they don’t know who to take commands from when their brain stops talking. I don’t know.
I wish I could give that peace to people just by wishing it on them. But since I probably can’t convince everyone to go jump off a cliff with me I’ll keep working on the yoga angle to help people clear their minds.
One other way to find inner peace is to get yourself out into nature whenever you can. Sometimes the beauty of the sun shining through openings in the clouds, or a deer drinking from the water or just the way the wind makes the grass in the fields move is enough to quiet the brain for a few moments. So if you’re not one for taking an unexpected leap maybe make time for an unexpected walk in an unexpected forest and just let your brain take the back seat as you experience what’s happening, without judgment.
Namaste.


*The scene from our campfire the first night*


*This little guy was avoiding eye contact, maybe he's a little camera shy*


*A stolen lily from our last long day of paddling*