Friday, July 31, 2009

Synergy

*A little tree pose with the trees*
Friday before the long weekend and my office is a strange mix of anticipation for the coming break and impatience for the day to be over.
My charity yoga in the park is coming close to an end and I think yesterday was one of the most beautiful days I’ve had to teach in so far, although standing outside with the grass and birds is always pretty cool. My students last night were nice enough to hold a little Vrksasana (tree pose) for me so I could catch a picture of them. It’s weird in the Western culture where we promote individuality so so strongly to get the opportunity to see everyone moving in the same way at the same time. I read a study in the paper yesterday that said when kids are really young they think that it’s cool to emulate the people they worship like an older brother or sister, by doing all the things they do. But then by the time they’re 9 or 10 they have a very clear idea about what’s cool and what’s not and it’s based strongly on expressing their individuality. I think the urge to find and express our individuality just grows from there. And I know that’s all ego (mind made personal construct) placing the importance on proving we’re special to ourselves and everyone else, and I’d never say people should always do the same thing everyone else is doing, but putting our ego’s aside I think it’s really amazing to feel the power of people doing the same thing at the same time. The synergy of like minded movement definitely has power. You’ve probably felt it if you’ve ever sang the national anthem in a really large crowd or seen people dancing in time at a show. Yogis use this synergy in the form of asanas (yoga poses) meditation and mantras (chanting), and when you’re not in the energy created by these experiences it can look a little funny watching these occurances from the outside, but if you can be brave enough to take a chance and step into that moment with everyone it can be so much more powerful than the power one person generates. So Namaste to all the yogis and yoginis who worked synergistically with me last evening. It was wonderful.
And on another completely unrelated note we bought a tortoise this week and I just hadn’t got the time to pop her picture up here like a proud parent. Her name is Eddie and I don’t actually know if she’s a girl or a boy but it’s probably irrelevant. Apparently she should be around for the next 30 to 100 years so I guess I’ll have a lot of time to speculate which sex she is. And she also gives me a reason to try to live as long as I can, or put her in my will, either one. We’ll be hoping for some nice weather so we can take her out for some Vitamin D and to let her stretch her legs. Hope you all get the chance to do this too!
Have an awesome long weekend!


*The red on her face is strawberry carnage.*