Tuesday, July 14, 2009

I'm beginning to wonder if automatic-flush toilets are really a good idea...

I’ve been asking myself this question for a long time. I recently started working in a big office where everything in the bathrooms is automatic and I find my greatest daily battles to be with mechanized porcelain that chooses to either not flush without repeated button pushings (defeating the point of the automatic part) or flushes right in the middle of me sitting on it (ya, cause that’s way more sanitary than flushing it yourself). And as I continue these daily battles I can’t help but question why we keep moving in this direction with computers working along side us to prevent as much contact with humans and the outside world as possible (And I question this as I type away at my blog and check my phone for texts and emails).

It reminds me of when I was in grade-school and they came up with this whole ‘no-touching’ rule. That meant that if you purposely touched (I mean touched, no hit or punch) another person you were suspended. That rule made me feel so sad, picturing kids going through their whole day without human contact. Not a hug, not a hand on the shoulder, no nothing. I imagined if any of the kids I went to school with had families that didn’t hug them goodnight they would go through their whole lives without knowing what other humans felt like.

In China they did studies on the baby girls that get left in the orphanages due to the one child policy and found that babies placed in orphanages without enough workers to hold the children had drastically under developed brains as they grew older, to the point of causing mental disability.

And yet we continue in this direction of making our world a no touching place. We don’t open doors, we don’t speak to strangers. We base our choices on fear of germs and rejection. We have a thin Purell layer between us and the world.
I’m afraid to teach partner poses in my regular classes in case it scares people away.
I hug people by mistake sometimes, (a knee jerk reaction) and notice them go rigid and still as if they think playing dead will prevent me from eating them.

Internet dating, drive through coffee, groceries ordered by computer or phone… I could go on. And I’m not trying to whine and complain about how things are going, but I am trying to figure out how to connect more people in real situations and how to diminish the fear of things outside ourselves.

I’m hoping the weather will play along for my Charity Yoga this week. If you have time come out, although you may have to connect with another person. I’ll bring the Purell, promise.