Monday, April 27, 2009

Hello, HAL do you read me, HAL?

Sometimes it’s hard to ignore the signs. Adam and I have been trying to figure out whether to buy a Mac computer or get a little Hp notebook because both our laptops are so big that they don’t travel well and we’d be better off selling one and getting something smaller. Last night the answer to our question came when our second Hp just stopped working for no reason at all. It just won’t turn on. A few weeks before our 1st Hp did the exact same thing and we bought them a year apart. So I guess the Gods are Mac computer fans or something and once we get our computers back from Futureshop (say Yay! for extended warranties), we’ll look into getting something a little more durable.
I think it’s really neat how some answers to questions come to us. I had the same type of thing happen to me last week when I was teaching yoga. I can never decide if I want to teach to music. I usually never practice to music on my own because I think our mind is just looking for a distraction from the present and yoga is all about bringing yourself into the moment. On top of that a lot of yoga music can get a bit repetitive (not that I don’t enjoy a good mantra once in a while). So I decided last week not to bring music when I taught and I quickly found out a few good reasons to have some music during your lesson. The yoga class at The Preston Yoga Centre is a small one and while I was waiting for class to start the students came in and sat a meter from me, cross-legged, and it was hard not to feel the awkward silence as the clock ticked away the time until class started. If I had met them before I might have been able to think of a conversation to start but as it was it became a bit of a lesson in sitting in our own discomfort. Now I think learning to sit in situations that make us uncomfortable is really, really good for us because these situations teach us things about ourselves we often decide not to know, but I don’t know if my students feel the same way. By not having the music I run the risk of the discomfort being too much and students not wanting to return and continue their yoga practice. Another benefit I thought of is for people who have trouble relaxing, without any music to distract them they may not be able to let go of their thoughts for the day and may hold their stress through the poses as they would hold their thoughts in their head.
So I took the message I had been given and downloaded a unannoying yoga CD off iTunes and I’m going to compromise by playing the music in the beginning and through the standing postures. Hopefully by then they will be relaxed enough to have it off so they can practice some silence.
But I plan to offer this challenge to my students and to you out there too. Take ten minutes and sit with no music or TV on, no one talking to you, with out the computer or your phone updating you on every little thing. Just sit and try to be silent. If you become uncomfortable ask yourself why. Why can’t you just be with you?
I start teaching officially next week! I’ll try to keep blogging with out a home computer.
Happy sunny days!