Thursday, April 16, 2009

Genghis Khan

My cat passed away unexpectedly 2 nights ago after being hit by a car. Adam and I took the day after it happened to go up to Almonte and lay Genghis to rest on the property his parents own in the country. It was a pretty devastating blow for both of us. I think if we had had kids it would have been different but when it's just you and your husband your cat can take on a much bigger role in your life. Sometimes when we'd have quiet mornings in the cat would curl up between us and just purr and purr and we'd say that this was our little family, and that's truly how it felt. So right now our family feels a little broken and it's hard not to notice the added silence at the house, but I know we will mend from this and I can always hope we will be stronger for it.

I've been thinking a lot about friends lately and I think pets always seem to be the best friends and some people would say that this is because they are such good listeners or because they never expect much from us, but I think the real reason they are such good friends is because we can just be ourselves around them and they can just be their-selves, because that seems to be what animals do best, and without all this posing, posturing or drama it's that much easier to connect and feel the love that sits with in all of us for all things, if we can just get out of our own way and experience it.
So if you have these kind of friends in your life remember to give thanks for the opportunity they give us to experience such peace and oneness.

If you don't have someone like that set and intention and make a space with in yourself to receive such a blessing. And I hope you can find something in the everyday to be grateful for.

Namaste.