Monday, September 22, 2008

Reach For It Yoga

So big news first. Having finally settled into my new job and gotten used to my new position (that is any position they decide to place me in for the day) at my old job I think I'm ready to throw myself head first into the Yoga Teaching! I've been doing lessons here and there, but it's time to put more effort into finding students. So I'm putting up posters to advertise and I finished my website which I have linked onto here... And I'm also hoping to get something arranged along the lines of teaching Seniors, which was my original plan but I just haven't had time to look into it until now. So I was thinking I might volunteer a free class at the Senoir's Centre down the road just to get started. The hard part is creating a Yoga session that's easy enough but challenging enough. But it's good to be working on new Yoga challenges.

I find myself stuck on the whole Tapas thing, the practice of Burning Enthusiasm. I brought this Niyama up a while ago but with this new job sweeping me up in it's momentum I didn't have much time for doing anything other than trying to keep up with all the new responsibilities I had to perform. The first time we went through the Niyamas in Teacher Training I was surprised at how easy I found it. At the time I was working at my desk job for the CCAC and before learning about Tapas I was having trouble convincing myself to do anything because it was just so friggin' boring. I kept thinking I need a new job, I need a new job but was having trouble finding something more interesting. One of my teachers pointed out that we always tell ourselves we'll be happy when we gain this or achieve that but unless we are happy in this moment our happiness in any other moment will be fleeting. I realized that was what I was doing in my job, waiting to be happy, but realistic I can't always choose my situation only how I respond to the situation I'm in. Once I started practicing Tapas towards my job it became easier and I moved through my work so much quicker.
Now I have a new job and I'm beginning to realize that while I can practice Tapas all the time there are always going to be situations where Tapas falters. I think that sometimes there are certain jobs that some people can't do with a sense of enthusiasm (like a vegetarian working at a butcher shop). With my new work, believe it or not, I don't mind helping patients take showers, sure you usually get sprayed fifty times and it's always a bit of a struggle getting all their 2000 body parts clean but it kind of reminds me of playing with the sprinklers as a kid and the patient always feels so much better after it's done. Then I look at handing out pills. I hate handing out pills. I hate that half the patient have 20 different pills to take and that I spend my whole day trying to make sure I give them at the right time or that I'm fighting with pharmacy to send up missing ones or I'm fighting with patients to take them all. I don't enjoy it in principle or practice.
But I've been trying to practice Tapas with my pill giving for the past month. What I've discovered in the end is that while not all activities of the day can be super fun and sometimes you have to rework your thinking to find the fun in them, but sometimes it's better to listen to your inner voice and find an alternative path that suits you better. Thus explaining why I'm putting myself more thoroughly into my Yoga teaching.
I hope you get a chance to check out my website. Reviews and opinions are always appreciated.