Friday, July 18, 2008

Third Eye Chakra- Ajna Chakra

My orientation is finally done at the hospital. I happy about that but I'm pretty sure this feeling of nervousness will stay around until I actually get out on the floor and try out my skills. The good thing is I don't have to work until next Tuesday so I get a 4 day weekend! Crazy. It was a bit unexpected though so now I'm not 100% sure what to do with it. I'm trying to keep my options open and just go with the flow. I love to plan everything in my life but things won't necessarily go any better if I plan them all. Besides who knows what crazy fun will arrive if I'm open to it.

We're on to the sixth chakra. I've always been partial to this chakra (hence the blog site address), but have recently began to realize the issues around being too caught up in this chakra. The sixth chakra is called the Third Eye Chakra (Ajna chakra) and is located in the middle of the forehead, near the eyebrows. This chakra represents intuition and perception and one of the easiest ways to use the energy of this chakra is just by staying present in the moment.
I remember when I was little I always wanted to be able to read people's minds and be able to know what they were thinking. I used to wish for it all the time. As I grew up I realized that I am pretty perceptive of what people are thinking and pretty intuitive when it comes to predicting actions and outcomes. Unfortunately as I get older I see the flaw in sending all your energy to this one chakra. The third eye chakra exists on a non-physical plane. In fact it has no grounding in the physical world at all. This chakra often makes me think of some of those people in the world who can wrap their mind around all kinds of mind-boggling ideas with high intellect and come up with some ideas very few people can comprehend. We're all amazed at the things they come up with and yet despite all their genius they are often separated from society. They can become disconnected from the world around them because they live inside their head so much of the time. While I'm grateful they take the time to break into new realities with their thinking I don't envy their loneliness. In that lies the weakness of focusing too much on one chakra or another. If you exist too much in your upper chakras you become unaware of the reality around you. If you stay in your lower chakras you never become aware of all the possibilities that exist. So if you're going to work on one chakra consider working on all of them because 7 healthy chakras keep you healthier then placing all your energy in one.
Something to consider when you begin the next exercise.

Here we begin to work on our 6th chakra. Close your eyes and sit in a meditative posture. Clear your mind by focusing on your breath and when you're ready focus your attention on the area at the centre of your forehead near your eyebrows. As your attention focuses here you can begin to hear the word Om (rhymes with Tom) vibrate in your mind at any speed or frequency. Let the sound fill your head as you focus on the area. Then after breathing here for a few minutes begin to fill your head with an indigo (blue-purple) glow, still focusing your thoughts on your forehead (You can actually roll your eyes up with your eyes still closed to look at the area you are focusing on). Continue to keep your focus here as you breathe. Again you can do this for any length of time you find suitable but 3 minutes is a good start. After your time is up let your focus return to your breath and your mind to clear. Start to deepen you breath to bring yourself back into your body. Thank yourself for for taking time to care for your Ajna chakra. Namaste!