Friday, May 2, 2008

Saturdays are for Jaynas

I woke up this morning and thought it was Saturday and then I got all excited. So when I realized it wasn't, instead of getting sad I decided to pretend it was anyways. So happy Saturday! It's been a pretty good start to my weekend so far. Except for the fact that I'm at work on a Saturday. But imagine how excited I'm going to be tomorrow when Saturday comes again.
So my quote for this lovely day provided by Rick Warren in the Reader's Digest is "Some people are so open minded their brains fall out."
Ya, this is totally an image I think some of us have of yogis. I know I've felt like that sometimes when I get told my aura is really beautiful or that driving a truck is bad karma. I think there's a fine line between open minded and gullible and I definitely feel I'm walking the fine line between the two.
The hard thing about yoga is there just isn't a known scientific method for proving some things. And the things that can be proven are often ignored for the more acceptable scientific knowledge.
But people who aren't yogis do this too. I mean how often do we let news channels or friends and family tell us what truth is. In yoga we're told to only believe what you experience for yourself or what someone trusted tells you (There's a third thing to trust but my mind draws a blank). And that's really the scientific method of yoga. Over thousands of years the practice of yoga has developed by people trying something to see if it works and if it doesn't they stop doing it and if it does they try it some more (How simple). And that's my suggestion for all things in life too. Try it, really try it and if it works for you it works for you, if it doesn't that's ok.
We could apply this to information we collect in everyday life. It makes me think about the whole Tibet and China issue. There's two sides to it and it'd be easy for me to take the news channels opinion or that of people in parliament, but unless I go there and experience the situation myself or meet someone who has experienced it first hand themselves it's hard to know for myself how I feel about the whole thing, but it's easy to have a knee jerk reaction and pick a side. There's probably a million issues that arise like that everyday and my natural reaction is just to jump to one side. That's how opinions are formed and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Except that we start to attach these opinions together and use them to form who we've decided we are and that's how your ego is formed. And then instead of seeing information when we receive it exactly how it is, it's coloured by our opinions. But changing this process is hard so I'm not going to beat myself up over it, just ask myself to take more time before making decisions on issues.
Just something to think about.
I'm heading out to the folks tonight for some dinner and dancing with my little sister. I hope everyone has a crazy weekend planned out with lots of challenges and fun. Have a good couple Saturdays and I'll catch you on Monday.