Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I spy...


Update on the home front. I got my medical assessment back from Alberta and passed! So I called Alberta and finally got ahold of the recruiter for 1st Nations (Of course she was just going to call me) and was asked where the rest of my stuff was. Oh! I said I thought the offer was dependent on the medical and she said it usually is cause that is the last thing to come through. So I faxed her the other paperwork today and she's going to call my references and send off my security check. So I asked her if there are still positions open and she said there are still two(It's been more than a month since this started so that's hopeful). And she said that we could negotiate the start date so I'm probably going to move it back to mid-June or the end of it. So that's good news. I think? Kind of demostrates a topic that's been coming up a bit for me lately which also relates to Satya (Truth) and that's the importance of good communication. It's something that can cause a lot of problems if it's not done properly. Like if this lady had returned my calls sooner I could have got her the paperwork she needed sooner. But on a bigger scale how many fights have been started because two people don't understand each other. And it's easy to communicate the wrong information or not convey yourself properly. At the speed we move how often do we actually listen to ourselves speak, much less hear the person we're speaking to. The really interesting thing is how much emphasis we put on our perception of what people say and do. In yoga we talk about our 10 senses (Indriyas) 5 being intake sense- Smell, taste, see, feel and hear. And 5 being output senses- Eliminate, procreate, move, grasping and communicate. After we've got these ten senses all figured out we're told 'Who we are is not these ten senses'. Which I have to say is a good thing when you think about it because how easy is it to trick our senses. Optical illusions, phantom limb, physical hallucinations, etc. There's all kinds of ways to fool ourselves through our senses yet we place so much importance on what we recieve through them. In yoga one of the best ways to learn to manage our senses more effectively is to let go of using them during meditation (As described in the above link). I've been trying this out and it's really hard and scary because there seems to be this underlying fear in me of what will happen to me if I experience nothing from the outside world. Will I float away? What if I can't come back? Of course these fears are irrational but letting go is one of the hardest things for me to do. So I'll keep working on it, but I'm going to have to remember that just because I experience something doesn't mean it's true, it's just my experience.