Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sobriety

So I just got some news that might end up being awesome, about a Northern Nursing contract, but I can't be sure yet, so I'm just breathing and keeping a level head. But it ends up being a good lead in to my most recent favorite quote.
This one was given to me by the morning guys for Live 88.5 but it's actually a Hemingway quote-
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk."

It's funny that I like this quote so much because I don't actually drink but it means a lot to me because when people get drunk they really are more likely to do the things they want to do like dance all over the place or go talk to that cute girl across the room. The point is we have a lot of deep desires that when we're sober we let our egos (ego meaning your constructed personality not your belief that you're awesome) tell us we can't become or do the things we want to do.
Sometimes when we really want to do something and someone suggests we follow that dream we feel irritated or silly about the idea. Remember- whenever you feel uncomfortable it's important to ask yourself why. Is it because the suggestion is really a bad one? Or is it something else?
That's why I've made a promise to myself to start doing those things that I hear myself say I can't or I don't want to. Like this month I'm going to give blood (First time ever, and I'm a nurse?!). In the past I've always said I don't want to do it and made a million excuses as to why I shouldn't but the suggestion of me giving blood always irritated me. And the truth is I do want to do it, I think there's so many people out there who need people to donate, I'm just scared. So on April 16th I'm going to tighten my boot straps, grab some garlic to ward off nearby vampires and let them take it. Wish me luck!
So next time you feel irritated at someone's suggestion consider whether you might actually want to do it, and if you do then do it. It doesn't have to be a huge thing, it could be as simple as dancing all over the place, sober. LOL! Go for it!